Monday, August 1, 2011

A Few Wishes

As I ponder the remainder of the summer and the coming fall, I have a few wishes that come to mind.  First, I wish lots of luck and success to Roy Oswalt, Doc Halladay and Cliff Lee.  This is not to say that I do not care about the rest of the Phillies, but I think of these guys who all gave up something to become a part of a winner.  Roy Oswalt sees the window of success rapidly closing on his career, and I wish him the best.  For Doc Halladay whose work ethic is such a topic of discussion, I wish him the fruits of his labors; and for Cliff Lee who turned down more lucrative offers, I wish him success in winning a Series here in Philadelphia.
I also have a special wish for the Eagles Andy Reid.  Of all the truly great figures in Philadelphia sports history, none has taken more abuse than Andy Reid.  Time and again he is addressed with scorn by the fans as "the Fat Man."  Many of these fans emphatically declare that the Eagles will never win a championship with him at the helm.  I would remind these fans to take a long look back to see when the Eagles ever had the type of success as they have under Andy Reid.  Sad to say, I do believe time is running out for Andy here in Philadelphia if the Eagles do not win a championship soon; however, I happen to be a firm believer in Reid and a strong supporter.  Has he made mistakes along the way?  Yes, but then again, what coach has not.  All one has to do is to listen carefully to what other coaches and players around the league have to say about Andy Reid, and he gets a good measure of the man as a coach and a man.  Yet he continues to get badmouthed by press and fans alike.  My wish for Andy is a great season and a championship.  Thank you Andy!

No comments:

Post a Comment